Saturday, June 19, 2010

Week One Was Great!

Another hot beautiful sunny day at Maskwa. I just dropped off my 12 year-old for his early morning Saturday paddling training and popped into my new office to get some more work done. There is lots to get done before the 'official' opening, but there is also a ton of stuff going on behind the scenes. This morning there are people working on the getting the floating docks ready, so beside the sweet sounds of all the birds nesting nearby I hear the lovely, very productive sounds of a saw.

So what has my first week been like? A lot of people have been asking me that. It's been so exciting at times that I wake up in the middle of the night to add another note to my list of things to get done. In all seriousness, the new facility is beautiful. I am working on creating a space for parents who might want to do a bit of business while their children are in programs and trying to establish a place for the youth and children. My ideal would be a quasi-teen lounge. We have enough sofas so now I just need a few coffee tables (if anyone would like to donate one it would be used). I've brought in some board games from my house but more are always welcomed. I also want a place for those rainy days when young children want to come in to do crafts - again donations for such are greatly appreciated. Are you getting the idea that we welcome your input, and any items you think might be of use for club members? Correct. Same goes on the sport side of things.

Here is a bit of my wish list:
2 basketballs
2 volleyballs and one net
5 skipping ropes for the young ones
soccer ball
horseshoe games

I'd like to keep all the gym equipment outside in a covered bin during the day and have it accessible for all.

Also I need people volunteers. Chad, our paddling coach and I had a very nice chat and I stole an idea of his that was offered at other clubs. I'd love to start a "Parent Afternoon Tea' - this would of course be run by a group of parents willing to bring in some sweets and make tea and serve it for the moms and dads wanting to get together as a meet and greet. I'd love this to become a regular event on Monday afternoons.

In terms of the canteen, I'm still working on what healthy choices we can offer. I spoke with Little Caesar's Pizza on Parkland and he's willing to create a Maskwa pizza day which would run much like how the school pizza programs do. Place your order on Monday (I will have it that you can pre-order up to 4 weeks in advance or on a weekly basis) and you get your pizza on Thursday. My goal is to offer something special every day. Other potentials are a Subway day and Smoothie day and then of course on Friday's it's our Maskwa BBQ day - and bless Peter Hope for once again taking this on.

Maskwa is your club! I would love to hear from you on things we're doing great and things that need to improved or we haven't thought of yet. The more you get involved, trust me the better the club will be. Please feel free to call me or email manager.maskwa@gmail.com. I'm actively recruiting members for our Parent Volunteer Committee so please let me know if you can help.

Looking forward to week two on Monday - stay tuned for another update.