Thursday, March 24, 2011

Welcome - Donations for Creation of Grassy Area for Children

Okay I might be dreaming here but wouldn't it be great to create a grassy area for the children where they could rest with the shade of the trees or play a game of friendly soccer? I know the perfect location. Next to our second parking lot. The only problem is I don't have $3,800 - yup that's how much it costs for 10 loads of soil, 6inches deep to cover 835 sq.yd.

Once again I'm learning something - dirt is expensive.

I know this area would be a bonus to the children. I also know Chad, our Head Paddling Coach, thought it would also be a great place for children in-between their paddling sessions. I figure if we get the soil (tackle that first) then we get the Maskwa volunteer power to level the area and spread the soil. Next step - sods.

So, I got thinking who supplies sods - Farmer Clem's. I called Farmer Clem's head office and guess what? The President, Mr. Blois picked up his line. I should tell you here I gave a quick pitch - more like a plea for help. He has asked for more information. I fired off a letter outlining the need for a grassy area and how any help would be appreciated. I figure nothing ventured nothing gained. Now, I'm asking for all of you out there to send positive vibes our way.

Last summer with lots of fund-raising we managed to supply the children with a new-to-us playground. They love it.

This summer, I'm hoping we provide them with more grassy space.

If anyone knows of any other suppliers please email me at manager.maskwa@gmail.com. All help or donations greatly appreciated.