Sunday, June 12, 2011

Saturday was a great Maskwa Day!

Saturday at Maskwa was jammed pack with lots of things happening. First we started off with our work party to move the docks, rake the sand, and generally get the grounds ready for our fast-approaching season. A huge thanks to all who came out to help. A special thanks to Bob Pickrem of Rapco Services Limited, whose company graciously donated their time and equipment to move our docks! A major thanks Bob as this means a lot to the club.

Then at 6:30pm that same day we launched our brand new War Canoe. She is a beauty. I love that for all boats we get to refer to them as “she” because really we women rule the water as my father would say – he was a fisherman for years so some of those expressions have become ingrained in me. Special thanks to again to Mike Haley who at the beginning of August 2010 with only 4 weeks left in our paddling season offered to spearhead a campaign to raise $25,000. Shows you the power of great leadership and lots of Maskwa commitment. To the HRM councillors who came, Peter Lund and Mary Wile, thanks so much for helping us christian the War Canoe and special thanks to all the councillors for your very much appreciated donations.

At 7pm our Wine Tasting Fundraiser kick started our Maskwa season off. We had over 70people attend the event and Harvest Wines were a huge hit! I just have to write here that I tried the red Heavyweight wine and honestly when I drop into Harvest Wine’s I’m buying a bottle for myself. It was great seeing everyone turn out for this event. We raised over $3,000 with the Credit Union matching contribution. As part of the night the Credit Union’s Kearney Lake Branch Manager Annette Shumey awarded the first Maskwa athletic scholarship valued at $1,000 to Jessie Scott, who was the lucky and hard-working recipient. I just know that next year lots more paddlers will be applying for those scholarships and the $1,000 Credit Union community scholarship.

Things are well underway for a great paddling season. I’m in most days from 9am-2pm (except this Monday I’m working from home). If you need to reach me please call my cell at 495-0212.